Thursday, May 20, 2010

Another lunchtime col ... and a fair old bonk !

TdMB minus 59 days

Bike of choice     : Kap
Distance              : 40Km
metres climbed    : +1090m

todays offering was the Col de la Charmette, 40Km round trip in a straight out, straight up, down and back sort of way. A climb of +1090m over 11Km in 39x23 was in the end just a wee bit too hurty for someone who hadn't eaten enough this morning ....

Fred, Ludovic and I took a little too long getting away from the office but were soon on the lower slopes of the climb and peeling off the layers as the sun was shining once again. All was going OK if a bit on the difficult side until we passed a sign indicating 6Km's to the top and I suddenly had the impression that the road had tilted hard in the upward direction ... unfortunately it hadn't and I bonked proper like with 3Km to go to the summit, no food and out of water - it was a very long 3Km and the other guys were just stating to worry about what had happened to me when I finally rolled up to the viewpoint. I don't remember the view.

It was 10 to 2 ... and I had a team mtg at 2pm .... ooops that's cancelled then.

The descent was terrifying, my vision went all blurry, I couldn't focus on the road and was having problems steering round the corners, lips were tingling too. Thankfully it's a quiet road as I don't think I was holding my line too well. Even when we got back to the flat it was bizarre - legs were fine, I could spin along the road tucked in behind the others but I could barely see them.

Back at the office it was straight to the cafe on site to buy all the sugary cakes that were left and some coke to washed them down.

Great climb though :O)

Will go back next week with some fuel in the tank.

No comments: