Sunday, May 16, 2010

TdMB minus 65days ... will it ever stop raining ?

Bike of choice     : Kap
Distance              : 38Km
metres climbed    : +750

This rain is getting tedious ! I went to Chamonix to "get in touch" with the mountain but the weather was just super oppressive and wet and of course all the high cols are still closed so I accepted this as an opportunity to do a bit of carbo loading and to drink some red Energy juice ;o)

The original plan had been to get a bus to Bourg Saint-Maurice and ride over the Cormet de Roseland and then follow the start of the TdMB route to get to Chamonix ... some other time eh !

On Friday I forced myself to get out in the rain and at least ride some of the route, nothing ambitious, up and over the Coldes Montets down to the Swiss border, buy somechocolate and then back.

I think it might have been the worst first 3Km'sof a ride ever, I nearly gave up straight away. not because of the rain but the state of my head. I somehow kept going and by the timeI reached the Col I was actually enjoying myself. Down to the border crossing, quick wave to the Gendarmes buy chocolate and start back up the hill .... it suddenly gets very cold and before I know it it's snowing hard. Aaaaaaaarrrrghhhhhhhh - but it woke me up. I was frozen rigid by the time I got back to the col and was forced to tiptoe back down the other side on skinny slick road tyres.

An hour later once the warmth returned courtesy of a hot drink and an open fire all was good again and this time I felt much better after the ride than I had at the start of it. If the stress monkeys can eat energy then riding can at least drive them away and let the batteries start to charge again.

No comments: